Friday, November 30, 2012

A Self-Starter

It seems lately that in order for me to write, I have to hear, see, or touch something inspiring.  My lack of “worthy” subject matter in recent weeks is an indication of my less than positive perspective, rather than a lack-of stimulating material.  This same apathetic attitude can and has been adopted by each of us from time to time in our respective spiritual walks.  How many times have we each experienced a lull in our prayer-life, devotional time and overall service to others due to what can best be described as a lack of motivation?  There is something I find extremely valuable in the workforce as a manager, and that is a self-starter.  One who does not need constant direction and is consistently in pursuit of an area of need in order to eliminate or minimize that need.  Although it is clearly and explicitly stated throughout scripture, that God loves and expects our dependency on Him.  He may be just as pleased if not more, when we move, take a step, or launch out in some areas without a strong Divine prodding.  It is clear that as we mature, there should be a systematic elimination of reminders to take care of ourselves and others.  In fact, every parent I know takes great delight in eliminating these kinds of rudimentary directives as their children grow.  Reminders to brush your teeth, keep your hands to yourself, or not to stick fingers in an electrical socket, are certainly unnecessary as we age.  Likewise, an earth-shattering, goose bump-inducing message from our Creator should not be a requirement to study the Word of God, love and assist our neighbors, or to continue to do the things that we know we were told to do.  Therefore, until I am given a directive to stop writing these blogs, I cannot let myself off the hook, with dismissive notions claiming a lack of inspiration and motivation.  I am actively working on consistently being a self-starter in both the secular and spiritual areas of life.  Will you join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment