Thursday, September 19, 2013

Process Over The Product


I read an interview recently of a famous actress, and during the interview she mentioned that the general public is far more concerned with “embracing the image over the artistry”.  Per usual, this took me off into a massive brainstorm about all of the areas of life in which we are consumed by what I would describe as the product rather than the process, or our expectations over His creation.  It seems that when we are reminded or initially informed about the promises of God, whether it is during our time of prayer or in the written Word of God, we get fixated on making it to the “promised land.”  There is an immediate push to get "there" quickly, without any of life’s inconvenient postponements.  Oftentimes I have found that I will linger on my shortcomings, because I view them as a delay of my promise rather than a teaching tool or an indispensable part of my formation.  I have been taught for many years to praise God in advance, and to be in expectation of all that He has for me, yet, I must have missed the instruction on how to enjoy and praise God for His process while I am still presently in it.  When I think about viewing a life from God’s perspective, I can imagine that He takes great pleasure in watching every segment of our life’s progression and potential growth.  Inasmuch as He knows the end from the beginning, it must certainly be gratifying for Him to recognize his handiwork as we  live out our purpose.  Paul touches on this in Romans when he wrote “…all things work together for good...”(Rom. 8:28)  Whenever I read this scripture in times past, I got excited about the good and didn’t spend adequate time thinking about the “working together” part.  Our relationship with God has already been set up for greatness. We know that we have an eternity spent with Him to look forward to.  The church has done a great job in recent years of moving from a focus on the great "by and by" and retooling our minds to look for the promise of God right here on earth (cue the background music for “Heaven on Earth”).  I am simply saying, let’s take this thing a step further and really acknowledge the fact that today, in fact this very moment, is all a part of my promise!  Easier said than done, yes, but I submit that this will not be an additional burden in our lives, but will prompt many believers to a level of freedom and “abundant life” that for a time has only been an ideal found in the pages of John’s gospel. (John 10:10) 
 
For example, the accident that produced excruciating pain in my body, formed an increased level of sensitivity (on top of what I thought I had) to not only sympathize but identify and speak directly to the pain in someone else’s life.  Now most critical minds would rebuff this thought by saying,  “Meghan, why in the world would God have to inflict pain in order to change your mindset, couldn’t he just do it during your time of prayer or better yet just change your mind on His own?”  Well, I must admit that I would have responded to my thesis in like manner, but thank God, I now understand that this is the way that the Lord allows us to actively participate in our own development.  It is still our choice to become better!  I shared this truth with a family member of mine. After some time passed, they sent me a text message saying that they are actively working on enjoying the process! It was so poignant the way they described life before making the decision to extol the process more than the promise. “It was like I was holding my breath waiting for something to happen and it already is!”  Can I encourage you today by reminding you that God’s hand is presently on your life and he wants to actively engage with you on the way to your next victory!

  I am concerned that if we do not take the time to not just praise God, but participate with Him in our respective development, that we will find ourselves guilty of what is described in Hosea 13:6, “…but when they had grazed, they became full, they were (ful)filled, and their hearts were lifted up; therefore they forgot about me.” It is a distinct possibility that if we don’t get involved in the process of our lives and become active and grateful participants with God in our development that we could potentially be found working against our greatest Advocate and Helper. A gift’s value and subsequent appreciation is greatly diminished without any understanding of the efforts made to provide it.   

There must be a decision made to consistently acknowledge and appreciation God's creative work in our lives.  I challenge each of us to think about all of the ways that we have lessened the value of where we are presently, and begin to praise God for the process over the final product!

3 comments:

  1. Wow.. what a life changing thought. We value a diamond because of its rarity and the intricacies involved in the final product, especially when it's initial state is taken into account. Why should our life's journey be any less valuable? Thanks for the revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through my process of life learning more each day what I must do in approaching others feeling. Since I tend to look at things in a perfect form before reading your blogs. Yes I am a Christian but what does that really mean today as so many fundamental ideologies have changed in the church's viewpoint of right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anonymous,
    Your admission of being a Christian is a great place to begin. Being a Christian believer means that you have made a choice to submit your life to God. In doing that, we must allow Him to guide our daily walk and lifestyle. You are correct in your assertion that there are many fundamental ideologies that have changed over time. Humans will often have varying points of view and/or interpretations of the bible which are at times diametrically opposed. In light of that fact, it is our responsibility as believers to pray and ask the Lord to help establish a few non-negotiable tenets or foundational beliefs of our faith that are in line with scripture. There is always plenty of room for discussion about specific issues relative to lifestyle but there is much less wiggle room when we are talking about the life that Jesus lived and asks all Christian believers to exemplify. We must all work through the interpretations of what it means to be a Christian in the 21st century through the lens of the first church of the New Testament. We find that there were many occasions even back then, where there were disagreements about how to live a life that is pleasing to God. In short, we have to really practice to not major on the minor points of contention in our understanding of God’s plan. Ultimately the church’s varying viewpoints of right and wrong cannot be used in our defense on judgment day. God will most certainly be concerned with how well we lived our lives in accordance to what we ABSOLUTELY know He requires. By working on being consistent with the things that seem basic or primary such as establishing a prayer life daily and studying the word of God, I know that whatever side of the argument you land on will be a safe place. Be encouraged anonymous, you have made a great decision to live a life of submission to God! You may grow frustrated with the church’s inability at times to come together, but you will never regret the decision to connect and develop a true relationship with the Lord. Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete