Tuesday, October 8, 2013

One More Minute

Recently I had to undergo a MRI scan for my back. I have had this done before on another area of my body with no issues.  This history, coupled with the fact that I did not have an issue with tight spaces, eliminated any fear moving forward with the procedure. Upon my arrival I was given a brief synopsis of the procedure and informed that I would need to lie completely still for about 30 minutes. If I was unable to lie still for the duration of the scan, I would have to repeat the entire procedure. Essentially, any movement would negate all of my initial investment of time and we would have to restart the clock and begin again. As a precautionary measure, in the event of an emergency or if I needed additional assistance I was given a call button. Now having what I believed at the time was adequate knowledge, I was ready to complete the MRI scan. I positioned myself on my back in what I thought was the most comfortable position and shortly thereafter the technician began to operate the machinery. I was lying on the table with approximately 85% of my body in the MRI scanner. No sooner than the technician informed me that she was starting, I realized that this position was not only incorrect, but additionally, it was quite painful. Now I immediately began to pray asking the Lord for the strength to endure this process. I did not want to have to begin again since I already was pushing the limits of my pain and endurance threshold in this first go-round. I closed my eyes and attempted to disassociate myself from the pain by "singing" worship songs in my mind, then I started a new conversation with the Lord about how far He has brought me and how I wanted to totally depend on Him to see me through this hard time I was presently having. Now I knew that I was deep into the scanning process by this time and I desperately wanted to avoid a do-over, but my pain exceeded my desire and I found myself pushing that call button at the height of my suffering. It was then that I expressed what I thought was my utter inability to complete the scan. The technician responded to my cry for relief by informing that I only had one more minute until completion of the scan. That bit of information all but eliminated what seemed to be insurmountable pain and I completed the exam with no movement. Now during that last minute, I started to feel some guilt about pushing the button and not “allowing” God to bring me through the situation. That feeling of guilt was quickly overcome with thanksgiving. The Holy Spirit allowed me to see the truth of the situation - I came through that difficult and painful time with VICTORY! Scripture tells us that in all of our getting we must get an understanding (Proverbs 4:7). I thought that I had clearly surmised my situation but it wasn't until I came to the end of myself and reached out for help in the form of a call button that I realized how close I really was to a victorious result. What I am saying is, if you are in the midst of a difficult, trying or even painful situation, hang in there, don't move and please don't quit. Reach out in another way and allow the Holy Spirit through whomever or whatever to show you the truth of the entire matter. It may be that the only thing between you and your next victory is one more minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment